The M. H. de Young Memorial Museum in San Francisco, California is a fine arts museum first opened in 1895. Earthquakes have damaged the original building, and in 2005, a new structure was completed by Herzog & de Meuron. A twisting tower in the shape of an inverted pyramid is the most distinctive feature of its exterior. Located in Golden Gate Park, the new museum is sensitive to its natural setting. Landscaped gardens by Walter Hood harmonized the surroundings. In the Barbro Osher Sculpture Garden, a 21-foot safety pin adds an artistic element to this interesting property.